Loveray Search

Custom Search

Playasia

Playasia Games

City Of Ember Movie Review


After more than a week of hiatus for my Chinese New Year 2009 holidays I am finally back albeit not in full health. It is sad to spend 80% of my holidays being sick with 50% of that time bedridden due to fever and flu. And with the current heavy monsoonal rainfall where I live, it is hard not to get caught up in the bad weather. It is also sad to know of several reports of landslides in the city due to the continuous heavy downpour of rain. It is better to be safe than sorry so staying indoors at home is a better option.

One of the movies what I watched during the holidays is City Of Ember. This is another movie adaptation of a novel, with the original source written by Jeanne DuPrau published in 2003. In a nutshell, City Of Ember is an adventure movie focusing on a couple of 12 year olds, Lina Mayfleet (Saoirse Ronan) and Doon Harrow (Harry Treadaway) on their quest to find the exit of the underground City Of Ember to discover the surface of the world. There is hardly any explanation as to what drove the humans to seek shelter in the self contained underground City Of Ember but it is a good guess that it was some kind of global apocalyptic event.

In truth I had high expectations prior to watching City Of Ember. It has an interesting plot but it is a letdown to know that its execution is not done to its fullest potential. In its defense I think movie-goers who are looking for a family friendly movie to watch will find that City Of Ember is an "Okay" choice if they have exhausted other better movies out there.

City Of Ember Movie Trailer


My Love For Life Movie Review Rating for City Of Ember: 2.5/5

1 Life quote shouts:

HermanTurnip said...

I had heard similar opinions on this film while it was out in the theaters. I couldn't bring myself to go view it while it was out, telling myself I'll pick up the DVD. When the DVD came out, I still couldn't bring myself to watch it because I had heard it wasn't nearly as good as the book.

I guess this is a case of Hollywood screwing up a good story...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copyright xsigns